Lansing Forklift Parts - Lansing City, Michigan, has a population of 114,297, making it the fifth largest city in the state, for which is serves as the capital. Lansing is situated within Eaton and Ingham Counties. The entire Lansing Metropolitan Area is called locally as "Mid-Michigan", a center for education, government, business and culture. The population of its Metropolitan Statistical Area is 464,036.
The area's educational institutions comprise nursing and medical schools, a veterinary school, two law schools (including the Thomas M. Cooley Law School) and Michigan State University. Government institutions include a federal court, the state capital, the state Supreme Court and Court of Appeals. The area is home to high-tech manufacturing and the headquarters of four national insurance companies.
During the year 1847, the city of Lansing battled the city of Detroit to become the state capital. Back then, the city of Lansing was just a small community, but was chosen as the state capital due to its central location. By the year 1859, Lansing became incorporated as a city with a population of a few thousand. As Lansing grew, a state capitol building was constructed and a railroad was constructed through the city. When Olds Motor Vehicle Company was founded in Lansing in the year 1897, the growth of the city increased since it became a significant industrial center. Automotive manufacturing and other industries flourished. Lansing has become more diversified in recent decades, with the expansion of manufacturing, government, banking, healthcare, insurance and education. The services sector is based mainly on healthcare.
There is a GM assembly plant operating plant within Lansing, along with numerous other manufacturing facilities. Many people are employed by government, information technology and biotechnology businesses, and by national insurance businesses: Jackson National Life, Auto-Owners Insurance, the Accident Fund and Michigan Millers Insurance Company.
Prima Civitas is a job-creation initiative. Launched during the year 2006 by Michigan State University in collaboration with Lansing and East Lansing, it is intended to boost the area's technology business.